Technical Skills and Experience
- Video photography for live events, interviews and promotional videos using DSLR cameras.
- Video Editing and post-production with Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, and associated production software
- Website design (using HTML and CSS) and administration using WordPress and Adobe Dreamweaver
- Graphics, document and forms design using Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Adobe InDesign and Adobe Acrobat
- Use of online distribution systems for DVD sales and Video-on-Demand sales.
Free-Lance Video Production, Philadelphia, PA
1/2009 – Present
- Produced, directed, and photographed video productions. These have included live event coverage, online commercials for theatrical productions, and promotional book trailers. (See below for details)
- Performed post-production tasks on video productions, including editing, color correction, and DVD and Blu-Ray production and design.
- Compiled video projects for Web distribution, YouTube and Vimeo, and for DVD.
Website Designer and Consultant, The Philadelphia Public Record, Philadelphia, PA
- Redesigned the website for the Philadelphia Public Record (http://www.phillyrecord.com/), following the editor’s design requirements. Developed procedures by which stories are placed on the website based on their category assignments. Enabled the use of rotating ads on site (including Google AdSense) to enhance revenues. Provided on-site training for employees, on procedures for updating new stories, changing layout options, and installing and configuring WordPress plug-ins.
- Designed WordPress-based websites for various departments within the Bioengineering departments of the University of Pennsylvania. These include:
The Penn Biomedical Microfluidics Center, http://pbmc.seas.upenn.edu/
The Institute for Medicine and Engineering, http://ime.med.upenn.edu/
- Journalism and essays. List of publications available on my website, http://www.briansiano.com
Senior Editor and Columnist, The Humanist magazine
1992 – 1994
- Wrote bimonthly column on science and contemporary culture.
- Assisted in defining the magazine’s overall direction– content, ‟theme issues,” design, soliciting articles from various writers, etc.
Publications and Video
Commercial Video Production
- Producer and Editor, Wissahickon Moods, an ambient video sold as a DVD and as Video-On-Demand via VHX and Amazon Createspace.
- Video Producer, Romeo and Juliet, by Curio Theatre. Raised post-production funds via Kickstarter. Hired video and sound crew for seven-camera shoot. Edited, performed color correction and sound mixing. Created DVD menus and video extras. Oversaw final DVD production and distribution.
- Director for Music Video, “Pretty Music for Pretty People” by the Dead Milkmen. Shot footage of band in studio. Edited two videos: the music video (http://youtu.be/6a9b5JpddKQ) and a twenty-minute “making of” segment (not yet released).
- Camera, Editor and Media Designer, A Doll’s House. Worked as cameraperson and co-video director on two-day shoot. Edited and color-corrected footage, and designed DVD and Blu-Ray menus for final product.
- Promotional videos for Curio Theatre, Philadelphia, PA, 2009-Present
This included shooting and editing full performances of Twelfth Night and Madville
Equus promo: http://youtu.be/kir_-T0RiYE
- Coverage of stage plays for Hedgerow Theatre, Media, PA, 2013-Present
- Coverage of full stage plays for Hellafresh Theatre, Philadelphia, PA, 2013
Alp d’Huez, http://youtu.be/sv1lWP-x8Mo
The Gambling Room, http://youtu.be/HUAyAKpJa30
- Video coverage for Shakespeare in Clark Park, Philadelphia, PA.
Recorded rehearsals, performances, and cast interviews for Henry IV, and edited promotional behind-the-scenes video (http://youtu.be/ws79amRrNaU)
Recorded performances of The Tempest for archival and fundraising purposes, 2013. (Video sample at http://youtu.be/fqraX1JhmiQ).
- Video and book cover design for successful Kickstarter project I Ain’t Marchin’ Anymore, a history of political dissent in the military, by Christina Lombardi
Video at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/866122280/i-aint-marching-anymore-soldiers-and-dissent
- Promotional video for Jeffrey Dahmer: Guilty but Insane, a one-man performance by Josh Hitchens. http://youtu.be/hU8ymDTu9oc.
- Kickstarter and promotional videos for The Republican Theater Festival, a showcase for politically-themed plays, performed November 2012
Videos are showcased at http://www.forearmedproductions.com/Participant-Videos.html
- Promotional video for The Drowning Girl, a novel by Caitlin R. Kiernan, published March 2012
Cameraman and editor for teaser and trailer.
Full trailer at http://youtu.be/pSLbcvc2xLs
Teaser trailer at http://youtu.be/UqwldGsZAZU
- Photography and post-production for Dorian’s Parlor, 2009-2011
Single camera recordings of performing artists.
- Philadelphia Science Writers’ “Faces of Philadelphia Science” series, Spring 2010
Developed overall approach and style for interview videos, used by other videographers in this series.
Peer-Reviewed Research Video
- “Neutrophil Isolation Protocol,” Hana Oh, Brian Siano, Scott Diamond. Journal of Visualized Experiments, August 2008. http://www.jove.com/index/details.stp?ID=745
- Testimonials from United Methodists on behalf of the standing of LGBT members of the church:
- Coverage of rally for a plaque commemorating Isaac Asimov, including interviews with local science-fiction writers
- Philadelphia Type-In Event, a celebration of typewriters
- Coverage of performance by rock band EDO at the Clark Park festival
Full playlist at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFD000208729E49A5
- “Clark Park, June 2007” Personal video of community park.
- “Tree Planting in Clark Park” Coverage of community tree-planting, Dec, 2006
- The Penn Center for Microfluidics Research, http://pbmc.seas.upenn.edu/
Developed design and content in WordPress; trained personnel on use.
- The Philadelphia Public Record, http://www.phillyrecord.com/
Consulted on migration, design and use of WordPress by newspaper personnel.
Print Publication Design
- Program Newspaper, The Steampunk World’s Fair, 2010 and 2011.
- Systems Biology Symposium, University of Pennsylvania, June 2009. Website with PDFs at http://bloodsystemsbiology.org/
- Program Book and Pocket Program, The Philadelphia Science Fiction Convention 2009. PDFs available at http://2009.philcon.org/.
Other Career History
(Administrative Resume available at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15765025/Resume%20May%202013.pdf)
Administrative Assistant, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 8/2006 – 12/2009
Administrative Assistant (Part-Time), Department of Urology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 7/2002 – 7/2006
Office Systems Coordinator/Administrative Assistant B, Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, 7/94 – 9/2000
Administrative Assistant, National Disease Research Interchange, Philadelphia, PA., 1988 – 1992, 4/93 – 3/94
Residency Secretary, Temple University Hospital, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology., 1992 – 1993
Temple University, Bachelor of Arts, English. 1981 – 1985
- College of Arts and Sciences Honors Certificate, 1983.